Thursday 16 May 2013

Coastal/Jack Pine

The Coastal and Jack Pine trails near Neil's Harbour are a definite treat whenever I can make it that far. There are two trail-heads for this one, one at Black Brook Cove, and the other nearer Neil's Harbour. I had begun on the Black Brook end some years ago, so decided to pursue the other, northern, end. After a bit of confusion, I managed to get my bearings. Check out this map.

I don't know what the rationale is behind this Parks Canada map, but putting north on the bottom just...stinks.
Here's a map from my car, complete with coffee stains.
Doing both the Coastal and Jack Pine trails includes about 13 kilometers, following the Atlantic Ocean from Neil's Harbour to Black Brook, elevating from sea level to over 100 ft. What I really enjoy about this trail is the mixed terrain, hiking amongst hardwoods, windy shoreline, crushed rock, etc. 


I caught sight of a number of gannets diving for fish, but took no clear pictures worth showing.




We were all alone out there, so Ella got to run free.



Half way through the Coastal Trail is the connection with Jigging Cove Brook trail. It's only 1.4 kilometers, so I decided to do it again, but was immediately reminded of why I told myself I should not have bothered with it the last time. It was very wet and boggy, as demonstrated here.



After a long day, I kind of wished I hadn't added an additional almost-three kilometers. In any case, when you start at the opposing end you have the opportunity to close with the Jack Pine loop, which is fairly short and easy and has only small gains in elevation.

No comments:

Post a Comment